It can be challenging to move into your new home. It is essential to plan ahead. Planning your move is essential. This guide will assist you in navigating the sometimes-complicated process that is moving into your new home.
One month prior the day of your move
Before you move into your new home, you need to decide how to transport your belongings. You generally have two options – move your things yourself, perhaps with the help of family and friends, or hire professional removalists. Consider these things if you decide on hiring a professional.
What does a professional mover do?
Professional removalists will transport your belongings safely to your new home. They must also load your belongings and put them in the appropriate places within and outside of the house. Additional services offered by removal firms include packing, unpacking and furniture and appliance setup.
What is the cost of professional removals?
According to hipages.com.au trade services website, professional removal services cost between $300 and $3500. Prices can vary depending on how far you are willing to travel between your current residence and the new one, as well as how many items you have to move and what kind of services you choose.
These are some great tips to help you save money on moving expenses, if your possessions are being moved by yourself.
1. Make sure you have all the necessary packing materials.
It is essential to use strong moving boxes, permanent markers, and packing tape. While you may be able to save money by asking your local grocery store for spare boxes, this could compromise durability as these might have been exposed to both moisture and wear. However, you can save money by purchasing high-quality moving boxes from removal or storage companies.
2. Plan your packing strategy.
A list should include your timeline. It’s a smart idea to plan time after work to pack.
3. Label the boxes clearly
Note the contents of each box and where they should be placed in your home. This will make it much easier to unpack. It is important to pay attention to the orientation of fragile items. Large items can be stored in smaller boxes to make it easier for movement. Smaller items should be kept in larger boxes.
4. Reduce clutter and pack less
You can get rid items you don’t need or want. They can be given away to family or friends, or you can sell them in a garage.
Two to three weeks before the day of your move
Once you’ve created your packaging strategy, now it’s time for all the moving details. These include:
- All of your closing documents should be kept safe. These documents include the contract to sell, loan contract, and mortgage document.
- Arranging for school transfers for your children.
- Make arrangements to have family or close friends look after your children during the move if you feel it is necessary.
- Arrange transport and care for your pet.
- These items may not be included in the sale. Please refer to the instructions for moving large appliances like washers, dryers, and refrigerators.
- Resolve any outstanding charges
- Arranging for electricity, water, as well as gas and internet connection, as well as other services, for the new property.
One week before your move day
To prevent any miscommunications or delays in the transfer, it is crucial to confirm all arrangements made before moving day. These are just a few of the things you can do.
- Professional removalists will help you plan your new house, and show where each piece should go.
- Arrange for mail redirection.
- Notify family, friends, employers, and other service providers of your address change.
- An electrician is recommended for installing light fittings.
- If you are moving indoor plants, be sure to water them gently and pack them in plastic containers.
- Confirm all arrangements with family and friends regarding care for your children.
- Confirm travel arrangements for your pet and pet care.
Allow two to three days for your move
Only a few days remain to pack and begin your preparations for the move. These are the things you need to be paying attention to:
- Preparing cleaning materials – you may be needing plenty.
- Safely dispose of household chemicals, flammables, and garbage
- It is crucial to immediately pack any belongings you require after moving. You can pack clothing, bedding, and medication.
- Remove batteries from battery-powered devices before putting them in storage to prevent leakage
- Verify that you have given your mobile number to the removalists and your correct address for your new home.
- Arranging access and parking for the removalists’ trucks.
Day before you move
If you availed the removal company’s packing services, they typically arrive the day before the move. These tasks can still be completed while you wait.
- Check every drawer and cabinet to make sure there are no missing items.
- Take the frozen food out of the freezer and let it cool.
- It is important to dispose of food that could spoil or go bad quickly.
- Double-check the list to be sure that everything is properly labeled and ready to go. Make sure that all valuable items are with you and not in the removalists’ truck.
Day of moving
These are some tips that will make your move smoother.
- Tell the removalists what you want them to do and provide clear instructions on where each item should be placed.
- Check the cabinets and drawers in every room to make sure nothing is missing.
- Turn off the power supply to your house. Turn off all electric and gas switches, turn off all taps and disconnect internet and phone services.
- Be sure to get all your keys before you leave. Lock all windows.
After the move
Sometimes, it’s impossible to unpack everything the day before your move. Sometimes, it takes weeks or months to get settled into your new home. There is more to it than just unpacking and arranging your belongings. The following should be done after you move.
- Verify that all utilities are connected.
- If you’re not sure who has access, change the exterior locks.
- You should check your home insurance coverage especially if you have recently moved.
- Create a plan to maintain your home and make future improvements.
While moving to a new house – with all the hard work it entails – can be stressful, careful planning and a sound strategy can help keep the process moving smoothly and your stress levels down. Research is key. Get as much help as you can.