First Home Owner Grants (FHOG) is one of the most popular government initiatives to help home buyers get into the housing market. It’s the government’s way of preserving the Great Australian Dream.

  • What is the First-Homeowner Grant (FHOG).

  • Guidelines for First Home Owner Grant eligibility

  • How to apply first home owner grant

  • Which state offers the First Homeowner Grant

  • Questions often asked

What is the First Owner Grant?

FHOG was founded in July 2000. The states and territories fund this nationwide program.

The grant is a one-time payment available to all eligible homebuyers and is intended to offset the Goods and Services Tax impact on building or buying a new house.

Each local government determines its own eligibility criteria and the grant amount. The eligibility criteria for grant have changed throughout the years.

Guidelines for First Home Owner Grant eligibility

Even though eligibility criteria may change between states and territories, the most commonly used criteria is:

  • One applicant must be either an Australian citizen, permanent residence or a permanent resident.
  • Minimum 18 years old
  • The house can only be purchased as an individual, and not as a part of a trust.
  • The grant must be requested within 12 months from the settlement of your property sale.
  • The property must remain occupied for at most 12 consecutive months.

You will Not be entitled to apply for the grant if:

  • FHOGs have been granted in the past in another state
  • You owned a home or another residential property before 1 July 2000
  • You’ve lived in a residential property since the 1st of July 2000.
  • Before 1 July 2000 you held a share in land in Australia.

It is important to know how to select the best type of loan for your first home buyer.

How do I apply for the First Home Owner Grant

There are two ways to apply: you can either submit your application through the revenue office of your state or territory, or you can use a bank/lending agency that has been approved.

The grant is normally paid to your lender at settlement. It will then be applied to your home loans directly. If you have yet to repay your loan, the grant will be approved.

If you are doing things by yourself, it is highly suggested that you apply for the grant as soon as you can after your settlement date. You must apply within one calendar-year for grant eligibility.

What evidence support do I need?

The amount of supporting documentation required will vary depending on the method you use to apply for the grant. You can divide supporting documents into four categories. If you apply through an agent for the visa, your partner and you will only need to supply a current proof or citizenship document and a primary identification documentation.

If you are applying directly to your local tax office, you will need one of each category.

Sometimes additional documents such as marriage or divorce certificates may be required. 

For the First Home Owner Grant, documentation is required

Category 1 

A copy of your current primary ID document and proof that you are a citizen.

Australian citizens

  • Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages Issues an Australian Birth Certificate
  • Passport to Australia
  • Citizenship certificate

If you are a citizen from another country

  • Passport
  • Documentation to support permanent residency

New Zealand Citizen

  • Current Passport

Category 2: 

Photo ID

  • Australian driver licence
  • Passport
  • Firearm license
  • Photo ID card with Proof Of Age

Category 3: 

Evidence that each spouse is a resident in Australia

  • Medicare card
  • Registration of motor vehicles
  • Centrelink or Department of Veterans’ Affairs card

Kategorie 4:

Evidence of each applicant and their spouse’s current residential address

  • Utility documents (e.g. Bills for electricity, water, and gas
  • Insurance policy covering contents or building construction
  • Rate notice
  • Mortgage papers for the property you are applying for FHOG
  • Electoral enrolment card
  • Lease or Tenancy Agreement
  • Work notice/reports/reference
  • Taxation assessment notice

Which state offers the First Homeowner Grant

Every Australian territory and state offers a FHOG at the time that this article was written. The grant amount varies for each territory and state. You may receive additional benefits depending on the rules of your territory or state when you apply for the grant.

Some states may also waive or give discounts on stamp duty up to some property price limits. A regional grant may be available to you if you are building or buying a home in that area.

Here’s how much you could get from the grant and any eligibility criteria that may apply.

  • New South Wales
  • Victoria
  • Queensland
  • South Australia
  • Tasmania
  • Western Australia
  • Northern Territory

First Home Owner Grant NSW

In 2017, the NSW First Home Owner Grant was revised to allow for a maximum grant amount of $600,000. For new homes, $750,000 is allowed. This grant is worth $10,000

To apply for the New South Wales New Homes Scheme or to learn more, visit the NSW Government’s website

First Home Owner Grant VIC

Metropolitan Victoria gives $10,000 to first homebuyers who purchase or construct a new home. A $20,000 grant may be available to first-time homebuyers in Victoria.

Properties worth $750,000 or more are not eligible for the grant.

Visit the State Revenue Office of Victoria for more information. 

First Home Owner Grant QLD

First home buyers can be eligible for a $15,000 grant if their contract was made after July 2018. Even if your contract is older than 1 July 2018, you may still be eligible to receive grants

Visit the Queensland Government Click here to find out more or to apply

First Home Owner Grant SA

You may be eligible to receive a $15,000 grant if you’re buying or building your first South Australian home.

Visit the South Australian Department of Revenue and Finance for more details and to apply.

First Home Owner Grant TAS

Tasmanian first homebuyers who purchase or build a home in Tasmania are eligible for a $20,000 grant. Unlike other states, there is no limit on the property’s price.

Visit the State Revenue Office of Tasmania for more information.

First Home Owner Grant WA

A $10,000 grant is available to eligible first-time homebuyers.

The maximum value of the property that can be purchased with the grant depends on the property’s location. For example, homes in the Perth metropolitan area (south of the 26th parallel) must not be valued at more than $750,000, while houses north of the 26th parallel can be valued at up to $1 million.

Visit the Western Australian Government’s Department of Finance site for more information on how to apply.

First Home Owner Grant NT

A $10,000 grant is available to eligible first-time homebuyers.

Just like Tasmania, the property’s purchase cost isn’t limited. Visit for more information.  

Questions often asked

When will the grant payment occur?

Each state has its own guidelines. If the applicant plans to buy a home, or build a new one from scratch, the grant will be granted at settlement. The grant will be awarded if the application is made through your state revenue office.

You will still be eligible for the grant if your home is not yet constructed. Owner-builders are more likely than others to be awarded their grant after the construction is completed.

Can I use the grant for deposit money?

If you apply for an FHOG through an agent, you could use the grant as a deposit of your home purchase funds. However, you would still need to shell out since the grant, in many cases, is not enough to cover the deposit. To learn more about the grant and how it can be used for your deposit, talk to your mortgage broker. 

If you submit a request on your behalf, the grant may not allow you to deposit.

The First Home Loan deposit Scheme can help you get approved for a mortgage without the need to pay a downpayment.

What impact will my income have on the grant amount?

It is important to know that the FHOG does not require you to have a means-tested income. This means that your income won’t impact your grant application. Anyone who meets the criteria and whose property is within the maximum limit of value can apply for the grant.

Is it possible to apply for a grant in the event that I inherit the property?

This grant was created to aid first-homebuyers in financing their home purchase. If you inherit a property, it is unlikely that your application will be approved. The grant is not available to builders or buyers.

Do I still qualify for the grant if I have a property in another nation?

The grant may also be available to those who do not have property in Australia.

Is it possible to apply for the grant even if I own an existing house?

Each state has its own rules regarding the types and amounts of homes that are eligible. To find out if your property is eligible, check with your local revenue department. Most states only allow new homes or vacant land. Some states permit grant recipients to purchase existing properties.